Thursday 19 July 2012

Gifts of Hope by Heather Hunt

Gifts of Hope is the second in The Gift Series.  This can be read as a stand alone, however, so if you haven't read the first one yet, no big deal!  Dive right in.  I think you'll like it.
I enjoyed this book.  I liked that it wasn't trying to be the typical Christian fiction, you know, all nice and tidy and neat.  For instance, where the worst transgression is a huge misunderstanding between friends.  Don't get me wrong, I like that too!  This one had a misunderstanding of mammoth proportion.  But I liked that that the author wasn't afraid to show the messy side of things.  I liked thinking, "Boy, if they had just followed the path that God lays out, none of this would have happened."  It gives me hope that my own kids will, hopefully, follow the paths of righteousness.  Yet, if they did mess up, there is forgiveness, grace, and mercy.  I, for one, am SO relieved that God majors in grace!
The story was intriguing, the characters well developed and the love portrayed seemed very realistic.  I did find the 6 year old a bit older than her age.  I found her quite precocious though, so I was able to get past it.  I do wish sometimes, that characters would open up and be honest a little sooner.  Of course, that would have considerably shortened the novel, so I can understand why the book wasn't written that way. 
Overall, a great book.  I will definitely read more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment